On Friday’s we’re supposed to talk about 5 things, so let’s begin:
1) Paco gave me this Mophie cell charger thing and I have no idea how to use it. I think it’s a robot. Right?
2) SPEAKING of technology.. guess who signed up for a FREE 30 day Amazon Prime subscription and then forgot to cancel it after 30 days? THIS GIRL. So I am stuck with a $104 subscription charge and a Prime account until January 2016. Someone please tell me what’s so great about Prime and how to use it? Apparently I’m not the only one who forgot to cancel because Taylor over at The Daily Tay is in the same boat.
3) We just received our save the dates (STDs as I’ve seen them called online.. what an unfortunate acronym) and I have to start addressing 200+ envelopes and get them in the mail before our vacation in 2 weeks.. think I’ll make it? We ordered the cards from Snapfish and I highly recommend them if you are ever in need of cards, photos or invitations. They frequently run online sales and we were able to order our cards for 50% off regular price. I am kind of nervous to send them out though because we included an inside joke on the card and I think the majority of the people won’t get it.. but we will see. I’ll share photos once our guests receive them.
4) We have a menu tasting at our wedding venue tomorrow afternoon and I am so excited. I’ve heard nothing but great reviews about the food so I can’t wait to try it. I’ve read that your wedding meal is the most expensive meal you’ll never taste so I’m hoping this tasting will make up for it if I never do get a chance to eat on my wedding day.
5) I have a new favorite nail product. Well, it’s not a new product but it’s a better product. Glue on nails. Seriously… they are so much better than the cheap fake glue on nails from back in the day that you might remember. I love these ones from Kiss called Kiss Gel Fantasy. They are easy to apply and last a long time (7+ days) and are a cheaper alternative to the salon acrylics. They come in a variety of lengths and designs and I think they are the best press on nails you can find. These Revlon ones come in a close second. I can find both brands at Walmart, Rite-Aid and CVS.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
I constantly joke about how I am an awful cook. Truth is, I’m not an awful cook. Or at least I don’t believe so.
The funny thing is that I never HAD to cook. I grew up with a stay at home mom who made the best dinners I’ve ever eaten. You know how students typically gain the Freshman 15 at college? Not me. I was so accustomed to home made cooking that I wasn’t impressed with the mass produced cafeteria food so I didn’t overindulge in food. Booze though.. that is a different story, for a different day.
Even after college I still didn’t have to cook. I lived with Mom for a couple months after graduating and then moved in with Paco who is a Saint and never expected me to prepare 3 course meals nightly. (Although, if he asked I probably would but don’t tell him that.)
Sure, I would dabble with recipes now and then but I never really cared to cook. This isn’t saying that we lived on take out – sadly my town does not offer a wide variety of restaurants so that wasn’t really an option. We ate the typical grilled chicken, hamburger, pasta, mac & cheese type meals but never really tried anything with a difficulty level more than turning on the stove or boiling water. I guess that is when the jokes started about my cooking. Even the dog was afraid. (See below, behind blue car.)
This past year though I have really started to branch out and recreate different recipes I find on blogs and Pinterest and I have to say – I like cooking. I always knew I could do it, I just didn’t really care to try. It was easier to claim “I don’t have time after work to create an entire meal.” or “Well.. it’s pointless to cook for only 2 people..” But recently I’ve come to the realization that I not only like to cook, I really enjoy to cook.
Therefore, I have started a “recipe book” more appropriately named:
I came across the two dishes below from Katie’s blog over at Katie Elizabeth and knew immediately I wanted to try them. Both of them turned out fantastic, if I do say so myself. (Visit this page for other recipe ideas from Katie.)
Other successfully created Experiments:
So please, follow along on Instagram and watch me work my way through various “Experiments” in the Kitchen.
Linking up with: Hodges Podges , East Coast Chic and Home of Malones.
I am a vacation amateur.
I’ve only been on a handful in my lifetime and my most recent vacation was a Staycation, remember? So obviously, I am overdue in the vacation department and I have a little over 100 hours of accumulated paid vacation time burning a hole in my pocket. Luckily for me, Paco has planned a vacation to an island in the Caribbean Sea and I am sick with anticipation for this vacation. Which starts in 15 days. But who’s counting. Oh yeah, that would be ME.
As an amateur vacationer I rarely research activities, restaurants, etc. before I get there so once I arrive I kind of just run to the nearest bar and spend the next 5 days drinking and posting margarita pictures on Instagram. I don’t see anything wrong with that, but this time around I want to try something new. Like set up an itinerary or schedule and pray that I can stay sober long enough to actually play out said game plan.
Any tips on how to accomplish this?
What are some of your favorite vacation activities and traditions?
This weekend was pretty uneventful which has been a common theme for my weekends during this winter because cold weather sucks and I would rather gargle bacon grease than venture outside in frigid temperatures. Therefore, I typically hibernate and binge watch Netflix and the Food Network on the weekends. Which obviously means – no weekend recaps, ever.
But, I missed y’all so I decided to stop by and say Hi. But also because I am stuck at work until Paco picks me up. We were
blessed tortured with 8-10 inches of snow last night and I chickened out this morning when it was time to leave for work. I’m trying not to dwell on it but I am so disappointed in myself – this is only the second or third time in my life that I can remember that I wouldn’t drive in crappy weather conditions. Well, actually, I probably would have driven into work late but Paco kept offering to drive and I figured it would be easier for him to take me to work than rescue me from a ditch I’d inevitably crash into. So there’s that.
Friday night started out at my Mom’s with too many vodka soda’s and lots of talking/bitching. Paco always says my Mom’s house reminds him of an episode of The View because typically you can’t get a word in edgewise because my sisters, Mom and I are talking over eachother and laughing.
Saturday morning was spent with.. you guessed it.. Netflix and the Food Network. I seriously need to get a hobby because I have started to watch One Tree Hill……… yeah. One Tree Hill. I never watched it in high school so try not to judge me too hard. After spending an entire day with Chad Michael Murray (I mean Lucas Scott) I ate butter/garlic chicken wings and drank half a box of red wine. I know, I know.. my life is pretty amazing. Try not to be jealous.
I guess the highlight of my weekend was looking forward to consuming 30,000 calories worth of Superbowl food and I did just that. Chicken barbeque, chips, brownies, shrimp, Bud Light and so on. I spent game day at my Mom’s house with Paco and my family and we had a blast. This was the first year that I actually watched the majority of the game and that is largely in part to the awesome Superbowl Bingo game that Erin from Love Fun and Football created. My family loved playing the game and it actually got a little heated a few times. Who knew a good old fashioned game of Bingo could bring out so much competitive energy?
How was your weekend? Hopefully more enticing than mine!
Linking up with B Loved Boston and Champagne and Suburbs for Weekending!